Job Opportunity: Community Mobilizer
|Position Location:||Calgary, AB preferred|
|Details:||Full-time 12 month contract, 37.5 hours per week|
|Salary Range:||$50,000 - $55,000 commensurate with skills and experience|
The Natural Step Canada is seeking a strategic and creative candidate for a unique public engagement role within our Energy Futures Lab - the Community Mobilizer.
The Community Mobilizer will be responsible for engaging key constituencies in the Energy Futures Lab (EFL). To date, the EFL has been successful in creating a diverse and cohesive group of Fellows dedicated to accelerating the transition to a new energy system for Alberta. The EFL is now translating this work into engagement opportunities for Albertans. The Community Mobilizer will support the Fellows in identifying and reaching relevant audiences; building and executing plans for distributing key educational products associated with the Lab; and implementing strategies to build the profile and credibility of The Natural Step Canada and the Energy Futures Lab.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and will be working closely with EFL Manager. The Community Mobilizer is responsible for:
- The EFL has developed a public engagement strategy that aligns the objectives of the lab with best practices in public engagement. The Community Mobilizer will be responsible for executing on this strategy.
- Engage key EFL stakeholders in relevant EFL activities.
- Work with the EFL Fellows to develop strategies for engaging their communities in the Lab’s outputs and activities.
- Foster relationships with and among EFL key stakeholders to understand their needs and tie them to appropriate tactics outlined in the public engagement strategy.
- Field interest and requests for information from the public by building actionable opportunities for participation.
Awareness Building and Communications
- Maintain consistent communication with EFL’s various stakeholders and communities of interest.
- Build and execute traditional media and social media engagement plans; contribute to the broader editorial calendar with tactics that reflect public engagement objectives.
- Plan and execute far-reaching communications campaigns to raise awareness of the EFL.
- Create shareable content and encourage distribution by Fellows and key stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple streams of work are absolutely essential to this role
- Must be a self-starter, independent worker and deadline driven
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding and keen interest in Alberta’s energy system including key players, new developments, and sustainability dimensions
- Existing strong networks in the Energy System an asset
- Ability to understand the needs of diverse communities and communicate to distinct audiences
- Demonstrated interpersonal and people skills
- Formal marketing and communications – including traditional and social media experience
- Experience with Salesforce (or other CRM systems), Google apps, Wrike (or other project management systems) and WordPress an asset
- Keen attention to detail
The Natural Step Canada is a dynamic non-profit organization with over a decade of experience helping organizations and individuals understand and make meaningful progress toward sustainability. Our vision is a sustainable society—one in which individuals, communities, businesses, and institutions thrive within nature’s limits. Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a sustainable society. The Natural Step Canada has a head office in Ottawa, and staff and Associates based across the country.
We are part of a global network of non-profit organizations that has been at the forefront of sustainable development internationally for more than twenty-five years.
About the Energy Futures Lab
The Energy Futures Lab is a platform to discuss, experiment, collaborate and innovate around the development of a “fit for the future” energy system for Alberta. Drawing on The Natural Step’s internationally-recognized framework for sustainability-driven innovation and leading practice in social process design, the Energy Futures Lab creates a space to move fragmented and polarized conversations on energy and sustainability to a new outcome-based dialogue.
The lab has brought together a cohort of 40 leaders, Energy Futures Lab Fellows, to align and amplify existing efforts and to generate new opportunities to test and scale initiatives. If successful, the EFL will mean coordinated action across a broad range of organizations has generated tangible breakthrough outcomes that support transition toward a more sustainable and resilient energy system.
To apply for this position, please click on the link below:
We thank all candidates for their interest. Due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.